The evil ways of Squids

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:13:28 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:
>>[Borist Knightly Order]
>While there can be such an order within the Borist Church, most >Borists
have no reason to acknowlege the _authority_ of such a order >IMO. On the other hand, if a Knight were to approach a Borist Wizard >and ask for help in assasinating a hated Noble who engages in >persecution, the Wizard may gleefully assist.

I think you have got the idea what I would like to say. The knightly order of the boristi church was a very old remain of the time of the Gbaji wars. In this time it makes sense to have a big group of knights which fought together the same enemy. I would also like to say that the boristi church was much more widespread in these day as today. As you have mentioned the boristi have made a big goal to evangelize the people of Ralios as they have showed them they can free them of their sins by shriving them. But today you will only find a few remains in some city states around the safelster region. We have both agreed into the fact the boristi are today eroded and corrupted by chaos and illumination. IMO they promise other things to their new converted worshipers as they have done this in the past. The Safelster region is based upon a feudalistic structure without any kind of centralized power (i.e. a king). Every lord or man of the nobility can come to power if they strong enough to do this. This is mostly a very egoistical task. There will the boristi can promise help to every lord or knight if they will convert to the boristi faith. The boristi will free them of their sins and go further on to be the bad guys in the country. My conclusion of this thought is that the knights of the boristi order will have no kind of authority in the boristi church or somewhere else, it is mostly a mask for your own egoistical goals. As a lord you will have the magical support of a boristi wizard and you are always free of sins. There is no other church which will promise this to you.
The goals of knighthood are mostly not compatible with the goals of the church. See for example the tournements in the medivial ages. The church said you must avoid the seven mortal sins, but on the tournements you will be lead into temptation of these mortal sins. As a knight you want to gain fame, money, land and a title. Because this temptation brings you away from the faith to the church the popes in 11th and 12th century have forbidden all kinds of tournements (from Innozenz II. in 1130 to Clemens V. 1316). Nobody cares about this ban. I think in the safelster region this is mostly the same. For a knight who is more egoistic it will be good to believe into the boristi faith because he will be shriven.

>The Borist Church is fragmented and unified only by the Rites of
>St. Borist and the comradeship that one shares with a fellow Borist.
>There is no hierarchy of Hidden Masters of the Church of Borin
>like that of the Bavarian Illuminanti. There are hidden Temples
>based in or near every major city which command the loyalty of
>surrounding Borists but there is no set organization beyond that.
>Thus the Head of the Tiskos Borists have no authority over the
>Sentanos Borists. There can be a few pan-Ralios Borist
>Organizations, the Guild of Chaos Monks are possibly one and
>Knights are another but they carry no special authority among the
>rank-and-file Borists IMO.

That is absoluty IMO. There will be no kind of archbishop of any kind in the boristi church. So they will have a lot other other doctrines in the different countrys of Safelster.

>Apart from their Chaos Nests, Borists are damn
>difficult to detect...

I think you are right with your opinion the squids are masquerade as pious rokari or galvosti priest. There must be very evil guys if you would imagine that they must always lie and disguise themself, this will corrupt them much more than chaos ever can to this to them.

Ingo Tschinke

The German RuneQuest-con is dated on the 24 to 27 may 1996 on castle 'Stahleck' near Bacharach (this is near Frankfurt) above the beautiful rhine river valley. It is a real medivial atmosphere. There we will preform the Free Form Game 'Rise of Ralios'. It is taking place on castle Kustria. We will have 80 - 100 players in the game. But there is more. Our guest of honour David Hall, Shield push, Trollball, RQ tournements, workshops on much topics etc. We have 150 places and a good accomodation because castle Stahleck is a new renovated youth hostel (one of the best in whole Germany). Everybody who wants to be at the VII. RQ-Con on Castle Stahleck please writes to: Phillipp Kuckuck, Im kleinen Felde 7, D-30982 Pattensen. For more informations about the 'Rise of Ralios' writes to: Ingo Tschinke, Schevemoorer Landstr. 33, D-28325 Bremen; tschinke_at_nordwest.de.