Down Under

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 96 17:13:00 PST

Whew! I'm back -

You've heard about the success of the Con from many more eloquent than I.  Yes, Peter, I have the tapes. A thousand thanks to Saravan Peacock of Freemantle, for practically taking the lead on the taping. (He dutifully attended several seminars I missed.) We'll have to get the Con book out fast, so all can appreciate Greg's story of the origins of the Red Goddess which I just hashed over in my previous post; it really does put Lunar philosophy together in a most fulfilling way. It *almost* even swayed John Hughes!;-)

The true glory of the con was running into impromptu conversations and readings. Watch for Chris Gidlow's writing on the Lunar Heresies - worth their weight in gold! Hopefully they will be brought to us soon by the Reaching Moon Megacorp.

The story telling contest was judged by traditional Orlanthi means - screaming approval for your candidate. To be fair - I could hardly tell the difference in acclaim - all readers were well received. Let's hope the next contest isn't judged by Dart War!

Many more thanks to our hosts, who exlemplified Orlanthi hospitality:

Trevor Averly and Phil Green, for giving Neil Robinson, Paul Heinz, and me crash space, and for ferrying us about. Trev even converted me to the wonders of Vegimite!

Andrew Bean and his charming (and patient!) parents Rex and Jane, for hosting ten of us at Cat'swhisker farm - a little peice of Shangri-la northeast of Melbourne. We had Kangaroos at Sunset and Gamers in the Mist... I'm not sure how long it will take me to forget that horrible, drunken session of the Reaching Moon on Digereedoo! (Instruments graciously provided by Barbara and Dennis Hoover.)

John and Phillipa Hughes, for more crash space and putting up with Neil and me learning to drive on the left. (Those damn turnsignals are on the wrong side!)

Other Down Under impressions: Go! You should see it! The animals are nifty - platypuses embody the Ernalda principle - "There is always another way". Went to the Red Center, and went on a three day camping tour of Ayre's Rock and King's Canyon. Absolutely beautiful country, and it was fascinating to learn how much food there is even in that seemingly barren land. (Dave P.! - you should have been there! They eat wichity grubs, too!)

 I also learned that there is no way that one could wear armour in the desert. No way at all. We were hard pressed to drag our barely encumbered selves through six kilometers of 44C heat and blinding sun. (Now I know why the Praxians feel the sun assaults them - I was glad to see it set, and almost dreaded the dawn. Inconceivably, some of the Aboriginals were wearing sweaters!) There was some occasional shade, but it was little comfort to learn that that's where Australia's 50+ species of poisonous snakes hang out...

Ready to run in Prax (evil grin)-

Pam