Gloranthan Background

From: Neil Smith <NSMITH_at_dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 10:51:18 GMT

Loren has many good comments on my background sheet. I agree with all of them except:

>> PAVIS The god that was Pavis Half-Elven and now is the spirit of the
>> city of Pavis.
>> FLINTNAIL Half-dwarven friend of Pavis, Flintnail is a god of
>> dwarves and stonemasons.
>
> That's all you say about the god of the city and his sidekick?

Yes. This information is for consumption of players whose PCs will be spending most of their time running around Prax and the Rubble, doing heroic things. I doubt they'll have a lot of contact with Pavis the god. On a more pragmatic note, there's not much white space left and I don't want to spill over onto four pages!

And then goes on to take me to task about:
> the rabid Orlanthi attitude you have expressed here.

Perhaps the anti-Lunar feeling is expressed too strongly, but I have a feeling that most New Pavisites would rather see the Lunars kicked out of the city. As I understand it, New Pavis was _built_ by people who left their homes in Sartar rather than be subject to Lunar rule. Their sons are running the place now. I think they have similar attitudes to the Jews under the Romans: they don't much like it, but there's not a lot they can do about it so they might as well make the best of a bad lot.

That said, the Old Pavisites, the fisher folk, and the like couldn't really give a monkey's who's running the city, and perhaps that doesn't come through. I'll cut down on the section about the New Pavisites and expand the bits on the other cultures, to give a more balanced view of the city.

Thanks for the comments,

Neil.