Who really won

From: JOSE RAMOS <ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 18:18:53 GMT

        I have followed the argument between pro-lunars and pro-sartarites with interest, as they echo the typical behavior of religious fanatics discussing their beliefs. The facts are scant, and can be twisted in suport of both positions. I, as a believer in cycles too, am reminded of the Arkat/Nysalor/Gbaji polemic. We have several sources that connect the two events. And in the Third Age it is not clear what happened.

        If we have to choose a loser, they are the magical societies and the cults. We do not know if only contact with the Godplane was affected, and sorcery and spirit magic still work. If that is the case, the malkioni (already the most advanced technologically) will control the world, as their god is already unreachable and they will not be handicapped. That is, if the malkioni survive the Hero Wars. What I want to say is that we know a little about Fourth Age Dragon Pass, but nothing of the rest of the world.

        IMHO it is mortal races and specially man, who are the winners, even if all the divine gifts (as literacy) are lost for a time. I am a rational scientist after all, and humanist at heart. If it is the freedom of the winds, willing to lose their power to liberate man, or the moon, a former human, in a pantheon of deified men/women, making the last step to give the same possibilities to all. Maybe everybody is illuminated, so the gods, lacking true followers, cannot interact with the world. The game is over, humankind is alone.

        BTW, I really liked the Shargash connection. I wonder what is the western explanation-phenomenon, as Zzaburr has been already overused.

	Swept by the current thread.
	Jose