Obscurity plus

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 10:56:20 +0800

>>(Empire has always been a Raibanthi dream - not a particularly Alkothi
>>one.)
>
>Emperor Urvairinus would disagree with you having ruled from Alkoth.
>And during the Second Age, the Capital was at Yuthuppa rather than
>Raibanth.

        I think the Alkothi are more into the defeat of their enemies, rather than Empire per se. Most of the Alkothi Emperors become Emperor in times of trouble, and spend a lot of their time fighting (Urvairainus being the classic example), and my feeling is that they become Emperor largely because he has the armies, not because he has the Empire. Eusibus is another good example, a classic Alkoth Emperor (a 'son of Shargash' who spends most of his reign fighting), who actually abdicates to avoid fighting Khorzanelm.

        Speaking of matters contained in GRAY, I have just noticed a small
discrepancy in Gregs account of the Goddess, gregged Greg so to speak. Gerra and Sedenya are both masks of the goddess, as I understood it, and at distinctly different points in the story of the Goddess - yet they appear to be contempories. In fact, while Luxarius is married to Gerra, he is combating Sedenya.

        I am sure one of the good Lunars on the list can come up with the correct Lunar theological explanation for how this in no way invalidates the story according to Greg.

        Hey, while I am getting obscure, lets throw in one from the Entekosiad - opinions on what form the Bisos religion took? Was it a Bull and Storm cult (one of the ancestors of Urox?) - Bisos is associated with storms, and there is a story about killing a monster to let the water out that sounds a lot like the classic 'storm king kills dragon, lets out the rain' myth - or was it a Hsucnchen descended cult - at least one of the cult heroes has spontaneous horns appear. Or a bit of both? Or something else entirely?

        Cheers

                Dave

Computing Officer    |"Our machines are disturbingly lively,
Arts Faculty UWA     |and we ourselves frighteningly inert."
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |			-Donna Haraway