lupine ramblings

From: R.A.Nicholls <R.A.Nicholls_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 12:35:48 +0000

Delurking again.

Since joining the digest about 1 and 1/2 years ago, I have enjoyed immensely the various stories, cults and personalities that have been submitted. And finally, I've decided to have a go myself. This herocult has been located in Dragon Pass (because I particularly enjoy the area) but I don't foresee many problems in transplanting it elsewhere with minor changes to the history etc. Indeed originally it may have been imported from outside. Please feel free to use or abuse as appropriate, and any comments are welcome (though please be gentle). I can't promise to reply promptly because I don't often come down to the university very often now I've submitted my thesis. Anyway, here goes...

The herocult of Loup

Location: Loup's Hill (wherever you like, though somewhere between Jonstown and the Wolf Ridges seems appropriate)

Associated: Earth protector (i.e. Orlanth)

Knowledge: General (to local people)

Appearance of shrine: Low flat-topped hill surmounted by a small grove of trees. Many wolfskins in various states of decay are nailed to the trees.

History and Myth

After the destruction and devastation of the Gbaji Wars, a long, cold winter gripped the land. People went hungry, and cold and sickness took the old, the young and the weak. Only the Uz found the conditions to their liking. It was around this time that some of the defeated Telmori migrated eastwards and came presently to Dragon Pass. Here they decided to go no further as only Prax and the Wastes lay to the east. To add further to their misery, the Quivini (maybe another term is appropriate) now sufferred from raids and savage attacks by hungry Telmori and their wolves. Life was desperate; the people cried out for a saviour.

Loup was the man who answered the challenge. Telmori had raided his stead and killed his livestock and slaughtered his family. Loup was the sole survivor and dedicated himself to revenging his family and relieving his people's suffering. After years of struggle, Loup and his close friends ended the wolfmen attacks, and then he killed and skinned the Telmor chief and drove the remnants into the unihabitable regions. During his struggles, he learnt new magic from his foe to aid his followers in their fights against winter raids. Finally, after his victory the long winter receded and he married the reawakened earth goddess as spring returned.

Loup was largely forgotten during the EWF, and after the Dragonkill there were no people around to sacrifice to him. Eventually Dragon Pass was resettled and people came into contact with the Telmori once more. Then around 1460, the winters grew chill once more and the Telmori became bold. The Torkani, Culbrea, Maboder and Cinsina all sufferred to the beasts' hunger.It was Hauberk Jon who rediscovered Loup as he sought aid in his struggle against the Telmori.Loup presented to Hauberk Jon at the hill which bears his name, and gave him magics to aid him and his followers. Hauberk Jon was victorious and since then people have once more sacrificed to Loup for aid whenever winter comes and hunger bites, and the wolf is at the door.

Loup has a single shrine at Loup's Hill which offers the single spell Wolfsbane to those who can fulfill his requirements.

Wolfsbane (divine spell)
touch, temporal, non-stackable, reusable, 2 points.

This spell gives the target the following benefits for its duration. He receives +1 to his movement rate, suffers only 1/2 of the normal fatigue loss and is unhindered by wintry conditions (such as snow, driving rain, bitter cold etc). He also receives +10% to all attacks against wolves/Telmori who act as though demoralised when fighting the target. This +10% is in addition to any weapon enhancing spells that may have been cast, and reflects Loup's special enmity against wolves.

Requirements to join: Must be an initiate or higher of an earth protector cult (i.e. Orlanth) and be married to an earth cultist
(i.e. Ernalda). He must have single-handedly killed and skinned a
wolf/Telmor, whose skin he must deliver to Loup's Hill and dedicate to the spirit present during either Storm or Dark season. After this he may sacrifice for Loup's spell. He must show no friendship or mercy to Telmori/wolves or he loses all ability to sacrifice for the spell which becomes one-use if he has it reusably.

Notes: Although, since Hauberk Jon restarted sacrifices to Loup, most dedicants have been Orlanthi, this is not exclusively so. For example, recently Jomes Hostralos (a Lunar) has sacrificed to Loup during his campaign against the Telmori. Also, although most people do not know Loup's exact early history, they have heard of Hauberk Jon (later founder of Jonstown) and do know of the benefits of sacrificing at this shrine.

Well, what do you think? I'm a little concerned about the spell
(corny name I know - any better offers). I've never designed a spell
before. Is it too powerful/weak? Would a spirit spell seem more appropriate? Also, it might be subject to Gregging (or Sandying or whatever) especially if anything more official comes out on Sartar.

I hope some of you will find it useful/interesting. Cheers, Rob.