borists and castes

From: Durupt Jean <durupt_at_cc.ec-lyon.fr>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 96 17:04:40 MET

Hi all,

Peter M. pointed out that some sects don't follow all the caste system.

I think it depends on circumstances and the prophet they follow.

For example, the Carmanians have only three castes. They don't have farmers.

In the case of the borists, we can assume that they follow Malkion and Hrestol's teaching. Their prophet lived before the God Learners and their three castes society.
I say that they follow a system like the one adopted by the old Seshnelans.

There are four castes in the society: lord, wyzard, soldier and peasant.
Each man is born in his caste.
If a child has talent, he can become a knight. The knights may use the talents of all the castes to fulfill their obligation to the Invisible God. (crusades, chaos hunting, etc..)

Since the God Learners ( and maybe the Arkati) were their persecutors, they won't adopt a three castes system and they will try to cling to their beliefs. The problem is that they were driven underground. Worse, a Ralian state with the borist heresy as its state religion would be a factor to unify all the others (to destroy it) because the hatred is so deep. The bad reputation and the fact that the other sects know of the shrive spell would bring the crusade spirit in the world.
And they can no more have an open society, where they could practice their faith openly.

BTW I find their theory about sins and what to do about it, a very fun idea indeed.

On another subject, we can model the Rokari with medieval Europe.
In the Roman Catholic church, there are three sorts of religious personnel:
- - the monks who take the vow of celibacy (no sex)

So we can still have an hereditary caste of wyzards, many will be deacons and not priests.

Have a good day

        Jean