Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #374

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 12:16:35 +0000 (GMT)

Nils Weinander:
> The malkioni have substituted their own version of the mythical world,
> populated by once-human saints, for the otherworld model shared by
> (most) other Gloranthan cultures. Much as I am fascinated by the idea
> of saints in our world, I'm irrational enough to find it bland in a
> Gloranthan context.

Personally I like the saints. It distinguishes the West from pseudo-medieval role playing settings. OTOH I don't think that it represents the sum total of Malkioni myth. Given their hsunchen connection I'd be suprised if their folk-lore isn't saturated with beast tales about Horse, Wolf and Lion. The Pithdarians probably have traditions about duppies. If Geoffery Chaucer can write about Alexander the Malkioni have stories about Dan, Galin and Father Sun. No doubt they think of all this as old wives' tales but deep background adds flavour.

> In the end, I guess that in Glorantha I want the ancient world parallells,
> while the european medieval flavour of the west feels slightly out of place
> and thus puts me off.

Classical Greece has been mentioned before. The abstract Platonic Prime Mover has a lot more in common with the IG than Jehovah does. Orphism and Hermetism are interesting models too. The latter reminds me a lot of Stygianism and Lunarism in particular.

IMO the Malkioni castes are Greg's take on the Indo-European castes described by Dumezil. So the Indian caste system is as relevant as the medieval "Three Orders" or plebs, equites and flamenes. AFAIK Dumezil's divisions are (i) ruler/judge, (ii) priest/wizard, (iii) warrior and (iv) peasants.4
Andrew Behan