Unconvined Sartarite

From: Tim Eccles <T.Eccles_at_kingston.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:42:45 GMT

My thanks to Argrath, Dennis Hoover and Pam Carlson in responding in Digest (V2#378) to my bias query. I do not doubt the wealth of information on the Digest and elsewhere about the Sartars, more a concern about "official" shifts in doctrine.

I think in RQ2 we (or I at least) played them all wrong, in failing to play them as barbarians, and more as generic feudalesque good guys. And I accept RQ3 is so much more developed. Playing Lunars is fine. It is just those same stereotypes seem to be lying around. All cultures think that they are right; some (usually montheists) insist that all others are wrong. A rulebook, or supplement, has to tread a fine line here. I am not sure any FRP system does better, it is just that RQ is closer than most to perfection.

I cannot take Arlaten as presented. IMHO Malkioni as monotheists (just as Christians in our world) are more prejudiced and narrow minded. They cannot accept other cultures as right, because they can only believe in the Invisible God. I think we just agree to disagree, and that is what is great about RP.

And what is wrong with being smelly? Typical Lunar prejudice!!

Tim Eccles