In Defence of Power gamers

From: martin <102541.3423_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 16 Feb 96 13:44:00 EST

Aden Steinke wrote most amusingly:

>In my experience the power gamer types can exploit any cultural construct...
>or as we put it in Wollongong, take the GMs intent and drive a truck through
>it.

Great analogy and one I'd heard before about my own playing style. This used to baffle me because I could never understand how anyone playing couldn't and wouldn't use everything in the world to their advantage if they could, after all who doesn't in real life?

Anyway, for amusements sake more than anything, here is a list of different powergamer types:.

THE TEENAGE TERROR:
Pam Carlson mentioned immaturity and I think there are a fair few players out there who went through this stage. Basically a teenage terror is in the game for self glorification rather than any pure roleplaying ideal. As teengers they aren't powerful, the worlds against them, mum keeps telling them to tidy their rooms, its a hard life. So when playing they play awesome warriors, wizards etc. Usually with extremes of belief ie super evil or super good. And why not, they are young and trying to have a good time. ( Doesn't stop you wanting to clip them over the ear tho)

THE WARGAMER MIND:
 I think I fall into this catagory. Here the individual functions on a level of pure logic but sees the game (sub-consciously) as a contest to be won. They do anything within the framework of the rules to win. Indeed such rules are merely to be exploited to find a cunning loophole that your opponent hadn't though of which will allow your panzers to smash his Third Shock Army (or in RQ terms gain that extra 5% you need to be a Sword which of course will massively increase your tactical options and is therefore a laudible goal in the pursuit of victory). This doesn't mean that the Wargame minded person cannot roleplay but the characters they roleplay will be usually more effective in gaining power than the other less motivated players.

THE NUMBER CRUNCHER:
This poor chap is driven by a compulsion to see his numbers get bigger. Such individuals are often game board players too. The sort of guy who leaves his character on a gameboard with a automatic program which keeps him online and his character earning experience points while they are out at work. They do this even though it costs a couple of dollars an hour. You see when they get back...their numbers have grown!! In RQ I only encountered this beast recently and they are the most prone to cheating of all players. Its like drug addiction, the desire to see bigger numbers overwhelms everything, even truthfullness.

THE COWARD
This is a peculiar power gamer, one who gains power in game because they have no will to power in the RW. Its an escape and so they go to extremes in game.

THE CHARACTER LOVER
This guy is OBSESSED with his character to an insane degree, probably go to bed with them if possible. They are so afraid of losing this character that they do everything in their power to make sure he is invulnerable.

THE SMART ARSE
This smug bastard likes to show everyone he's best. He does this by having the best characters all the time and usually this guy has a little following of cronies to help reflect his glory. This is a rare character as people usually mature out of this but I've seen thirty year olds like this. Weird.

THE PSYCHOPATHIC KILLER
This player lives for the thrill of combat. He sits in the corner giggling insanely waiting for his chance to strike. Often they drool when they roll a 01 and cut off sixteen heads at once with their vorpal chainsaw. If there is not enough action, these chaps START some by picking on anybody they can. They get better at fighting so that they can find BIGGER fights!

CAPTAIN CARDBOARD
This is the guy who sits in the group and never says a word, often he's thought of as just an extra person to be hit on the GMs "who gets hit by the arbalest roll" but really these quiet fellows are gaining power, spells and abilities like mad but are so unassuming you don't even notice. These are the most inoffensive of powergamers and are often not noticed as such.

If anyone can think of anymore, I'm thinking of writing a book on the subject. The money raised will form the foundations of my bid for world power! (que evil laughter)

Martn Laurie

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #383