Competitor

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 15:57:41 -0600

Martin Laurie goes over the Power-gamer mindset(s), but misses one:

THE COMPETITOR:
        This fellow wants to be the best. Not necessarily the best at combat (though usually so), but the best at whatever the group's main drive is. So if you're settlers in the Risklands, his steading has to be the biggest/most prosperous..... The Competitor does not break the rules, or go looking for loop-holes; that would be like cheating at solitaire. He is, however, very knowledgable of the rules, and scrapes out ever possible advantage. His character will skimp on socializing with the others to plow an extra field, etc. His skills will all be directly usefull in his chosen area of expertise: he will seldom possess dancing or storytelling skills if the judge doesn't make everybody take it when rolling up the character. If a warrior, most/all of his skills are directly combat oriented; no extra languages, etc. This fellow may or may not be able to role-play, the point is that he is very tightly focused, and therefore excells in certain areas. Perhaps the mindset coluld be described as verging on 'fanatic' (the character, not necessarily the player).

        I have run COMPETITOR type characters, and it can be fun to watch the way NPCs react to the warriors 'rep'. But a less narrow character is usually more fun; it depends partly on the game setting.

        Note that the 'Competitor' does not look all that different from Martin's 'Wargamer'; he does a lot of the same things, but for somewhat different reasons. (And he is usually a bit more social...)

Feathered Horse Queen:

        I am not going to argue about one or two Queens, but propose a little bit of common sense (probably a mistake when talking about Glorantha). I believe that 'King of Dragon Pass' is a title without any special stature involved, or benefits (if I am wrong, I am certain to be speedily corrected). Thus, anyone who is King of a large portion of Dragon Pass and can influence the rest has a posible claim on the title. Marrying either of the proposed Feathered Queens helps bring in another power bloc, and bolsters the claim. So does completing the heroquest wedding to the Lady of the Wild; instead of bringing in a power bloc, it demonstrates what a powerfull chap you are (and presumably _does_ confer special stature/abilities). So any of the three helps bolster the egotistical claim to be King of Dragon Pass.

        Andrew, who may soon be flamed....

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #384