dinosaurs, skullbushes

From: John R. Hutchinson <theropod_at_garnet.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:15:36 -0800

Hello-

        Well, since the subject of dinosaurs came up, and I guess I could be called a professional paleontologist who works on dinosaurs, I had to de-lurk and throw my hat in the ring. They're a great source for fantasy; speculations of the possible existence of feathers, social behavior, etc. The most reasonable suggestions have been that some of the bipedal carnivores (theropods), which were the ancestors to the birds, may well have had feathers (but we have NO direct evidence of this). I don't think anyone reputable has seriously suggested that the non-carnivorous types
(i.e. the Earth Shakers) had feathers.

        But then again, we're talking Glorantha; fantasy. So I too say why not have feathered dinosaurs, or frolicking, agile, warm-blooded Praxian hunting theropods, or chameleon-skinned Stinking Forest ambushers? Let's keep away from the sterile, juvenile Flintstones version and be creative.
(not that I agree with all of the pseudoscience that a few disreputable
dinosaur paleontologists spew forth)

        Anyway, I guess I do have something worthwhile to say: I'm wondering about skullbushes -- the stories surrounding them (and their pollinators, the skullbats), etc. They appear to be an important plant species in Prax, so the natives must have many interesting myths and traditions concerning them. How do they explain the bat connection (i.e. Plants and Darkness?)? What's the story behind the skull motif?

                        John R. Hutchinson
                  Evolving Evolutionary Biologist
                 Department of Integrative Biology
                  3060 Valley Life Sciences Bldg