Re: Zines Seen

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_erzo.ORG>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 22:57:09 -0800

MOB spake on:

>RQ Con II Compendium

>The LARP narratives are lots of fun - ignore the bizarre statement on the back
>cover that says "...the results deviated from Real Gloranthan
>History (!?)" As far as I'm concerned, these LARPS *were* history in
>the making!*
>
> *Hmmm, I don't really understand what the writer of this statement
> is getting at. Does this mean we're better off staging freeforms in
> the Gloranthan 'future' [HotB, HtWwO] than the 'past' [BC], if we're
> meant to be worried about such definitive and restrictive concepts
> as 'Real Gloranthan History'). If so, perhaps we'd better not
> stage Gloranthan LARPS (gaming even?) at all?

As the writer of said statement, let me take one short moment to explain. The RQ-Con 2 Compendium will be sold through Wizard's Attic, and, I suspect, Reaching Moon in the UK. As such, it will be picked up by people who never attended RQ-Con, and will have no idea that the narratives were of free-form larps. These people will be picking it up to use as a resource for their Glorantha games. I had awful visions of such an innocent purchaser having a forever distorted view of Glorantha based on what might have happened, what did happen somewhere else, but not what happened in the Glorantha that is depicted in RQ1-3.

I have no problems with placing games in the past. Likewise, I have no problems with such games deviating from published history. I mean that's what makes them fun: _not_ knowing how they'll turn out. I just wanted to make it clear to said hypothetical innocent purchaser that what he was viewing couldn't quite be put in context with what he's read in _Genertela_ and lots of other RQ supplements.

Shannon (No One True Way Flames Please) Appel