Re: Converting old-style sorcerers to Sandy's system

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 20:09:46 -0600

>I forced Sandy's beautiful new Sorcery Rules on my poor,
unsuspecting Sorcerer. >So, instead of being able to maintain damageboost 6 for a season, he'll be >happy to get damage boost 4 up for 10 min. Is there anything I can do to soften >this blow to the poor guy's character?
	Sure. Try THIS:
	In my sorcery rules, spell skill is rather easy to get. You
get points just for keeping a spell maintained for a week. In addition, trying to up a spell via research or training is significantly better than with other skills (you get a full 1d6 increase instead of 1d6-2). Finally, the various Arcane Arts are _no_longer_skills!

        Now, if you've converted your sorcerer to a new-style dude by keeping his spell %s at the same level, and dumping his Arcane Art skills, you've taken a person who has spent X degree of effort at getting himself to X status, and reduced him to a person who is now about X/2 status. No wonder he feels he's been hosed. He has been. Ergo, the obvious solution is to increase his skills so that the player's skill level remains comparable to what it was before.

        My suggestion is as follows: take the skill points you'd previously devoted to Arcane Arts, add them up, double them, and divvy them up among your various spells. Once your player has his skills at a reasonable level, the new system won't seem such a hose job. Also be sure to let him get plenty of Presence, depending on how long he's been a sorcerer.

Sandy P.