Re: Bent Light and Horizons

From: Brian K. Curley (Master of Time & Space) <"Brian>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:19:43 -0600 (CST)

Dane Johnson suggests that the idea that light in Glorantha curves upwards would mean that Glorantha has a horizon depsite being flat. I believe that Glorantha would tend to have a horizon anyway, albeit an artificial one. This artificial horizon would be the limit of the individual's eyes to distinguish details at a great distance. It strikes me that it would be siginificantly farther away than the horizon on even the flatest parts of the Earth, but at some distance the individuals visual acuity is not going to be able to distinguish between the little speck that is the troll heading his way from the little speck that is the huge mountain several hundred miles further away. My point is that at some distance, things are just going to blur into an indsitinguishable line... hence a false horizon.

Brian

| Brian Curley | I'm your only friend... I'm not your |
| Holder of Previous | only friend, but I'm a little glowing |
| Knowledge | friend but really I'm not actually |
| bkc_at_axle.adp.wisc.edu | your friend but I am... |