Chaotic maths

From: Paul Honigmann <Paul_at_furfur.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:55:43 GMT

CHAOS IN NUMBERS

Hi,
  has it occurred to anyone that Numerology would make a rather neat cult in an RQ campaign's background?
  I have in mind a bunch of Doomsday Nutters who could provide comic touches.
  There are a number of things which their prophets could preach about. Apart from the obvious breakthroughs in Chaos Theory by Lunar scholars ("don't believe their Gbaji-inspired lies about the purity of maths!") there could be an Atyar cultist around spreading the heresy of Irrational Numbers, who the Doomsday Nutters are trying to find. (Did you know there was a real secret society, the Pythagoreans, founded by the Greek mathematician of the same name, who knew that Pi was irrational and were convinced that this knowledge had to be kept from the public?)... this could lead to their Divinations (based on numerical or astrological calculations, of course) pointing to your PC's as the culprits. Of course in the end it's all found to be a Terrible Mistake, they divided by 2 instead of multiplying...
  I also see such types as being convinced of the Luck (good & bad) of certain numbers, and continually leaping to wild conclusions about PC's based on statistical half-truths. And the World will End in the year 1634... or is it 1643?

  Well, that's enough waste of bandwidth!

  Paul Honigmann

  PS:
  this is partly a test message as I'm not too familiar with e-mail yet so I hope I amn't committing some heinous breach of netiquette...