Western thoughts

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.unit.no>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:04:01 +0100 (MET)

Hi everybody!

Since I've been thinking about relocating my campaign to Fronela, I've been doing some thinking about a number of western issues. And here are two of them.
I don't know if my ideas are valid, or even plausible, but that is why I present them to this discussion group. Any comment are welcome (please be gentle:))

Western heroquesting have bothered me. I don't think westerners quest in the same way as other cultures. And I have gathered that the current view of heroquesting is no longer the "super RQ" game it once was. If this is so I think the most common form of heroquesting in the west would be pilgrimages. This would be a relatively low powered form of heroquesting, accessible to allmost everybody. I think it is possible to include all the elements in the "hero journey" within the context of a pilgrimage. Gains from such quests could be gaining a patron saint(perhaps this is nececary to get one?), protecting your livestock and family from disease, improve your status in the community, or whatever.

One other thing I have been thinking about is the KoW(of course:)). I followed the very interesting KoW debate last year. But as opposed to some of the people in the debate I don't think LDoaH is a dwarven construct, a chaos abomination or a psychotic humakti. I see him as fanatic hrestoli!
In my campaign he is a man who believes that Loskalm should rule all of Fronela. I think he is a heroquester who has been questing for the means to shape his kingdom into the kind of kingdom that is able to drive the barbarians from the land. In my campaign the KoW is going to attack Loskalm until it has twisted Loskalm into a ruthless, fanatic and desperate war machine. At that point my KoW is going to disappear. Leaving Loskalm with a war machine without aim, but with a burning hatred for pagans. Note, I think this is why Hrestol does not let Loskalm invoke the crusade against the KoW. This would create exactely the sort of mindless and brutal conquest LDoaH wants. In other words, I think LDoaH is giving the loskalmi an example of what to hate: they tap, they boast of their hundered war gods, they use other barbarians as mercenaries etc. See the movie Seven to get a better picture of how I see LDoaH's twisted mind! The focus of my campaign is therefor going to be to get the players to realise that victory lies in remaining idealistic, and not using the KoW's methods against them (becoming like the KoW) This is going to be very difficult (at least for my players :)): How win and remain idealistic. This is truly going to times of testing for Loskalm's idealism!

So what do you think?

Frank Rafaelsen
rafael_at_nvg.unit.no
"Si fallor, sum"