Nargan Armies and LDoaH

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:16:09 +1300

Hal Bowman:

>I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what the "armies" swarming
>upriver into the Pamaltelan plains, apparently from the Nargan, are made
>up of?

Nobody knows (except Sandy).

The only relevant detail I have seen is that in ToTRM#11 there is map of Jolar which has 'Blue Elves'. Asking about this on the digest got the admission that the TOTRM Editors couldn't decipher Greg's scrawl at this point and thought it might be 'Blues' or 'Elves'. So they put both and added the figure. They're of the opinion now that the word actually was 'Blues' which makes more sense.

But we have a problem. The Blues are from Zamokil and Kothar which the Doraddi have known about for ages and which are not part of the Nargan by any stretch of geography. So who are these invaders?

One thing is certain: Nobody knows their cause. Which implies they don't take prisoners and those who have seen the armies have done so from afar.

Possible Cotenders:

FIRE ELVES: They actually live in the Sea of Flame which is beyond the Boiling Swamp and the Enmal Mountains (where the Pamaltelean Gods live). So it's a bit far for them to migrate. They could be Goblins from the Boiling Swamp but this makes it hard to explain how they could have passed the Nargan without becoming dehydrated.

CHAOS INVASION: Passe. Furthermore Pamaltelan horrors tend to be individualized not species of generic monsters. So I can't imagine them being the source of the armies that swarm...

RED GIANTS: Possibly from the Enmal Mountains. Known of in Artmali mythology. They may or may not be the related to the Agi. I don't think they drink water which explains how they manage to pass the Nargan. I think the youngest giants are man-sized and dark-skinned, whereas the older ones might be big as a troll and have a red skin. The truely old ones are giant-sized and are flaming but none have been obsevred in the armies so far. They've been driven from their homes because of some unknown reason and are seeking a new life on the far side of the Nargan. I think they subsist on fresh ashes and other sorts of charcarol.

Any other ideas?

Nick Brooke:

LDoaH as Fanatic Hretoli:

>Unfortunately, the Ban makes it difficult to cast the War Lord as Sir
>Meriatan's long-lost brother, but maybe you can find a work-around?
>After all, we don't *know* that LDoaH was leading the KoW before it
>emerged from the Ban, do we? :-)

Actually the KoW becomes organized around 1618 (IIRC) which may be related to LDoaH taking over. All we know was that he was in the Black Forest _after_ the Ban had elapsed. Perhaps he was trying to flee the horrors of the Black Forest with the remains of his Loskalmi expedition when he met Harrek?