Speed of light /sound

From: Barbara Braun <zbraun_at_minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:27:58 +1100 (EDT)

G'day all this is Andrew Bean emailing,

If anyone is after me for NLG #2 can you email me at

Andrew.Bean_at_anu.edu.au

Speed of c / sound:
John Hughes suggsts mythic reasons about why the speed of sound may be faster than that of light. Being a physicist I think it is fine so long as you increase the speed of sound to be above that of light rather than slowing light down too much. At the Gloranthan experimental level you won't see much difference anyway. Except for the lightning and thunder level. But if you slow light down too much you could get the effect of hearing the crackle of bushes before seeing the ambushers leap out.

If the speeds are roughly similar but with sound slighlty faster it is only over distances of several key-miles that differences will manifest but reality as we expect it won't change to dramatically in unexpected ways.

Cheers, Andrew
PS Any more Tinglet or Deville stories out there ? I was really enjoying both (although for different reasons :-)).