Re: Carmanian and Pelandan Citizenship

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:57:13 EST

I wrote (you know you're in trouble when you comment on your own posts):
> 3. Citizen Foreigners do not have right of appeal to Glamour, only to
> their Satrap.

You may well wonder does this mean your local Satrap (the Count), or the Lunar Official in charge of the entire Western Reaches (the Governor Palamtales). In most of the provinces, it is not a problem. The only Satrap they have is the one in charge of the entire province (the Governor). But in Carmania you have a Satrap (Count) with a Satrap (Governor) overseeing him or her. So, I think that means that in Carmania you have the right of appeal to the first Satrap in the line of command, and that would be the local Satrap (the Count).

Does this mean that the Satraps (Counts) are all-powerful in their domain? Practically speaking, yes. But we already knew that, didn't we? The Red Emperor only cares about what happens within a county when his tax revenues are affected. There are some exceptions to this power: Full Lunar Citizens have the right of appeal past the Satrap; and the old-style Carmanian (caste-law) courts can sometimes be tricky to negotiate.