Carmanian castes and religions

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:12:32 EST

I've been unhappy with the presentation of religions by caste in the Genertela book for some time. While working on the Carmanian Orthodox church I wondered what cults most people would be members of, practically speaking. Here are some preliminary thoughts, by no means official, and I would appreciate your feedback and discussion.

Pelandans, I believe, are mostly worshippers of an Earth pantheon of deities (Pela, Voria, Maran Gor, Lodrilio [little Lodril], etc). This would make sense to me, as they are in my version of Carmania also a matriarchal, non-hierarchical society, and this is part of why the Carmanian gentry detest them so much. They're like the Lunars only even more extreme, "The Land of Women."

Harangvats and Bindlers combine ancestor worship with veneration of the spirits of the Sweet Sea. There are some pretty monstrous blue *things* in the Sweet Sea and they'd make for rollicking great stories about "evil cults" for PCs to smash. I'm not sure what other gods they might have. Any suggestions are welcome.

Worlani have been converting to Invisible Orlanth in droves recently. I suspect they have had to worship a truncated storm pantheon for a while, perhaps with Barntar or Elmal or my buddy Minlister at the head of the pantheon. They no doubt conflate Invisible Orlanth with the orthodox Carmanian entity known as Cloud Father who guided the 10,000 out of their western hell.

The Orthodox Carmanians have a choice between worshipping the Wise Lord through the laws of magic, or directing their worship to the many masks of the Wise Lord Ganesatarus, His emanations and separations. I believe that the most important of these masks are the caste-specific ones. Karmanoi belong to the cult of the Leader, whose silver aspect is Issaries/Etyries, and whose red aspect is the Red Goddess/Moonson. They can be initiates or higher in any of these cults, or multiple ones, depending on which temples are available to them. Vizirs who do not choose sorcery belong to the cult of the Speaker of Truth, whose light aspect is Lhankor Mhy/Irripi Ontor, and whose dark aspect is Ikadz the Torturer and Revealer. Some Hazars belong to the cult of the Warrior, whose light aspect is Humakt/Yanafal Tarnils and whose dark aspect is functionally similar to Zorak Zoran, but not so uz-centric. Other Hazars belong to a myriad of mystery cults which have bizarre powers, some very similar to Hsunchen powers, some with powers allowing them to devour their prey and take their abilities, and some with mystical understanding of the skills of crafting and artifice. Carams belong to the cult of the Wife, whose light aspect is similar to Ernalda and whose dark aspect is similar to Subere. And finally, Waleeshas belong to the cult of the Maiden Companion, whose light aspect is Uleria/Chalana Arroy and whose dark aspect is Maran Gor.

Comments? Abreactions? Additions?