Re: Sweet Sea gods, guys in sheets

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:58:53 -0500

In Glorantha Digest V2 #415, Loren Miller writes:

>There are some pretty monstrous blue
>*things* in the Sweet Sea and they'd make for rollicking great
>stories about "evil cults" for PCs to smash. I'm not sure what other
>gods they might have. Any suggestions are welcome.

"Pardon me, boy, but is that the lair of Great Cthulhu?"

The shores of the Sweet Sea seem like a good enough place for foul interbreeding (the Innsmouth look), bowing down before disgusting altars, and all that. From the Carmanian perspective, any sea god is kin to bastard Waertag or worse, and they'd be projecting a lot of demonic ideas onto whatever gods were there. Then the Bindlers and Harangvats would start to believe what the Carmanians were saying about their gods, and/or only worship the ones among the pantheon who offered dark powers against the hated overlords.

As for your comment a few days ago about guys in white oppressing racial minorities, I'd appreciate it if you'd project your own stereotypes somewhere else. Since I live in the part of the country where said oppression occurred, I have to deal with Yankees' prejudices pretty regularly. If you hate us so much, why didn't you let us secede? Geez. Anyway, it's hardly a good analogy for Carmania, because: 1) the oppressed population was there first, and for a long time, 2) the oppression has continued for over 1000 years, not a mere 350+, and 3) there has been a lot of cultural diffusion from the Carmania lower classes into the rulers. A better analogy would be various places and times in India while Muslim rulers ruled Hindu subjects.  (Then the Lunars are the English? Redcoats, as I suggested for Rob Roy?)