Dem Trolls..

From: Paul Heinz <paul_at_profax.co.nz>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:24 1997

Hi, Paul Heinz here.

Sandy Petersen
- --------------
> Paul Heinz: Some Thoughts on Male Trolls, in which he opines that
> Karrg's Sons are really Sons Like Karrg. I also concur. The only
> (minor) cavil I make is that I do not believe trolls see Xiola Umbar
> as the all-caring mother figure.
> Rather, I believe trolls see her as the comforting sister,
> just as she administrates to ZZ -- much less threatening than the
> Mother. A safer, friendlier dominance. Trollkin are even less likely
> to see her as Mom (think of their own mother-neuroses!)

He He... yes, the friendly _sister_, NOT _mother_. That makes a great deal of sense. The Mother image is full of fear for trolls so I can see XU distancing herself from it.

Hmm... your mention of sister makes me wonder what sort of dynamics are common to trollish brother/sister relationships...

On the subject of mother neuroses, I'm struck by the image of wily Orlanthi yelling out 'Mother' in Uztongue to scare off trollkin :-)

I also like your take on warm/cold bloodedness for trolls with trolls being cold to the touch (with reeking breath! I like that reeking breath) but having essentially constant activity levels. This sort of strangeness makes trolls really alien and scary.

Hmm... I wonder about Muri, the 'hot' trolls of Pameltela. Now, hot is obviously a relative term but I imagine they are closer to being warm blooded than normal trolls.

TTFN,
  Paul.

Paul Heinz
Profax International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand E-mail: paul_at_profax.co.nz
#include <disclaimer.h>