More Celestial Shenanigans

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 96 19:21:05 GMT

John Hughes:
> What if, (in Orlanthi
> lands at least) you hear the thunder BEFORE you see the lightning? That is,
> what if the speed of sound is (under normal magico-enviromental conditions)
> FASTER than the speed of light?

Correct Gloranthocentric response: "Huh? Whadya mean, light _moves_?"

> What would be the effects of a much slower c at the level of
> overt phenomena?

Well, obviously Relativity is Right Out, so Forget All 20th Century Physics. There, did anyone feel a thing? Having dispensed with that, I see no problems. If all else fails, one could simply make Lightning a special case. ("I haven't been well...")

> Why bother? Well apart from the wonder quotient (and this phenomenon WILL
> overtly manifest in game play to a much greater extent than light theories)
> I see potential for a strong mythological rationale and a whole host of new
> spells.

Absolutely. Ignore the Bogus Fizuks, mainline that there mythology. So, I'll bite, what is the mythic rationale? Standard-issue Orlanthi triumphalism? ;-)

Peter Metcalfe suggests:
> The Calender 'month' is taken from the constellation the Sun last
> rose in. Since Lightfore invariably rises in the same constellation
> at night time, there's no problem in determining the date.

I don't think it does, due to the daily rotation of the 'Dome. If I recall my own draft article on the subject correctly (Gregged, so never posted here, but in no detail at all, so never "corrected"), then Yelm rises and sets in almost the same spot of the Sky Dome on a given day, and Lightfore does the same at the opposite point of the Celestial Equator. Similar ease of calculation, of course. Then again, if tPS sinks ES here, then as you all were. (Does it?)

Pam Carlson quoteth Kevin Rose:
> >The only calender I've seen associated with the empire is the Theyalan
> calendar. ( This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, as it
> should logically use a Pelorian, Dara Happan, or Western based calendar,

> I need to solve this problem, too, and to relate the Lunar calendar to the
> Theyalan one. We know the Dara Happans used a four season calendar

Makes sense to me (What's the opposite of being Gregged? Being Gregged Right?), especially in the light of stuff about 3, 4, and 5 season calendars in Graves' _The White Goddess_, but what's the source for this knowledge?

> The Lunar Empire pretty much sprung from the Dara Happan one,
> so wouldn't they use that calendar?

My guess is that the Dara Happans had a _very_ cumbersome calendar, which only a mother could love. 300-day years, requiring a Leap Month every five years, a number of months not divisible by the number of seasons (ten and four respectively), infeasible nonsense like that. When the moon rises, and the Weeks don't divide the Months properly, it's the Last Straw, and the DH atrocity is junked, and the handiest alternative is adopted. Maybe the Theyalan calendar was already in some covert use in Peloria, due to its greater convenience...

> Does anyone have any idea if the (12?) (10?) months have names? I remember
> reading somewhere about a month named "reed". How, exactly, wopuld they
> correspond to the Theyalan calendar? I expect the first day of the Year
> would be the same in both calendars, since both are solar.

Are they? I thought that in Petersenian definition, "solar" calendars started at the winter solstice? Obviously, both are "solar" in the other, weaker sense of corresponding to the length of the solar year, but that implies nothing about when they start.

BTW, interesting comments from Peter on this. Is tPS now _totally_ unavailable? I gather it only ever appeared in the DHBE, 'statright?

Alex.