Re: Astrology; Illuminated bureaucracy

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 22:51:09 -0800

Peter Metcalfe wondered

>So the Brown Man is an Astrologer? Interesting in light of his uses of
>Glamours...

Some Lhankor Mhy sages need to figure out the birth signs to identify the appropriate geases; even in backwards East Ralios this must involve looking at the stars.

Jim Chapin wrote

>On the rules line, Theodore Posselt asked a question that more properly
>belongs here: given that illumination is supposed to be reached by NOT
>trying for it (sort of a Calvinist "election" model?) and that its results
>are supposed to be unpredictable, including insanity and loss of pre-existing
>beliefs (though not in all cases) how can a bureaucracy be built upon such
>an uncertain base?

I'm not familiar with anything that says members of the Lunar bureaucracy need to be Illuminates (I imagine far more important is that they're Literates).

Further, while it's a requirement to be Illuminated in order to become a Red Moon Priestess, that's hardly the only requirement. People who are dangerously or uselessly insane wouldn't be advanced to the position.

If you have The Fortunate Succession, there's a few historical notes on how Illumination has been viewed in Dara Happa. Yelm is Illuminated, after all.

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_pensee.com Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/

    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."     "What they want is better products for free." --Scott Adams