Re: roleplaying

From: Eric G. Scharf <escharf_at_seattleu.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:19:29 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Lars-Roger Moe wrote:

> I sincerely hope that you do not run your own life in the same way that
> you run your role character.

        Actually, I do. It's more complex, but there is no decision that I make that I cannot justify in terms of relative costs and benefits to me.

> If you were right, there would be no psychologists, we would all ware
> the same clothes, do the same things, react in the same way, and shit
> at the same time. We do not. We do not even try to do that. When there
> is any disagreement, your mentioned parameters are rarely conciddered,
> and never without a immensly complex set of values, virtues and personal
> taste, that is the base for the disagreement.

        Oh, I quite agree that most people never examine their decisionmaking  calculi, and this results in vastly differentiated behavior. But that in no way invalidates rigorous minimaxing as a genuine role-playing personality.