Moral Vaccums

From: Aden Steinke <Aden_Steinke_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 7 Mar 1996 08:11:05 +1000

Nick said

>(6) Although Illumination can endanger one's sanity, this risk is less severe
>within the Empire: not only is insanity valued as a divinely-inspired state,
>but also the structures and beliefs of the Lunar Way are set up so as to
>embrace Illuminated insights and perceptions. You are not exposed to so many
>contradictions if you become Illuminated as a Lunar (though it can still be a
>tremendous, personality-affecting shock). I'd hazard a guess that more Storm
>Bulls than Moonies go insane upon Illumination, though of course my test
>subjects are rather suspect (since most Storm Bulls are certifiable already).

While the unfortunate Bull Worshipper is probably the most likely candidate for the Loonie Bin on acquiring Illumination I always thought that the population density and systematic fostering of the way of the Illuminate (or Illum-do?) by the Empire in the service of the Mother of Us All means there are probably more loonie Loonies, providing colour and texture to Pelorian living.

>I'd like to apologise to any and all bureaucrats reading this for any
>implication that their profession has ever been seen as cynically amoral and
>manipulative, riddled with paradoxes and contradictions, juggling paperwork
in
>a Byzantinely introverted manner, and producing end results which serve only
>baffle and confuse the public.

But we are - my lecturer in Public Policy used to make Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister mandatory viewing! Didn't help though, I still managed to become a working simulation of a moral vaccum. Down with Ponting! (Bureaucratic reference for those old enough to have been bureaucrats just after the Falklands :) ).

Aden