Divers Lunar Matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 11:42:36 +1300

David Dunham:

Me>>So the Brown Man is an Astrologer? Interesting in light of his uses of
>>Glamours...

>Some Lhankor Mhy sages need to figure out the birth signs to identify the
>appropriate geases; even in backwards East Ralios this must involve looking
>at the stars.

You forget the effects of clouds. I don't think that the Sky is visible enough for astronomy to be a viable art of divination in East Ralios. 75% of the Orlanthi would have 'Overcast' in their horoscope, methinks.

Seriously tho, the reason why I expressed interest about Irrippi Ontor being an Astrologer was that he was previously said to be a Lhankor Mhy Sage which implies a knower of facts rather than an Astrologer. Yuthuppan Astrologers do more than calculate obscure Astronomical conjunctions and perform divinations, they invoke stellar effects to do magic (cf the Starseers teaching Yuthuppa how to get porridge from praying to the Porridge Star in the Perfect Sky). If Irrippi Ontor used Glamours in his Astrology, what did he use them for? Creating Celestial Portents? What does this tell us about the Red Moon being connected with Illusions?

Nick Brooke:

>People looking for good Nysalor paradoxes could do far worse than to
>read the "mandarinese" contained in the books of this series, which
>rivals Zen Koans for depth and complexity of tortuous argument. Or,
>read some real English civil servants' pronouncements: "economical with
>the truth", forsooth!

The latest example, so I've been told, is the Scott Report in England which uses double and quadruple negatives to avoid making

For instance where the normal person would say:

        I am convinced the Ministers misled parliment.

becomes in Scottspeak:

        I am not convinced that the Ministers did not mislead Parliment.

Confusing! I am not enarmoured of the converse of Nick B.'s suggestion that the parsing of such language will not cause Illumination. Thus I do not endorse the lack of use of such language by the Lunar Bureacracy.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #422