Re: Nils Needs Ideas

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 00:10:53 -0600

Here are some ideas for a mutual dream interpretation fest.

        Have the ceremony be very formal, with each dreamer speaking his dream, and then each interpreter going around the circle in turn giving his interpretation. If this would take too long, have fewer interpreters.

        If the interpreters conflict in their opinions, you get an "out" lest future events work out other than you planned.

        Very specific dreams are probably not going to be as useful as general scenes or events.

        Have the PCs be the interpreters, because there has been a rash of dreams in which they figure prominently. One Thellini could also be an interpreter, so that you as GM get to give hints about these dreams.

        Most of the dream interpretations should be relatively obvious. The players will be proud of themselves for figuring them out.

Some Sample Dreams.

  1. The sea is black and chill. The heads of the foreigners (i.e., the PCs) thrust themselves up between the patches of floating ice and groan or hurl advice in incomprehensible tongues. I look up and see a Keet flying overhead on broad feathered wings, and cry out to it to take me from this place.
  2. I hear a noise outside my hut and rush outside, carrying my club in case of trouble. There I see the biggest foreigner fighting a huge man with fourteen heads. The fight goes on for hours, while I watch aghast and frozen. Both combatants bleed from many wounds. When I finally decide to join in, helping the foreigner, just before I can get into the fight the foreigner takes one last mighty blow, and the fourteen-headed man falls dead in a heap. The foreigner bends over, cuts off one of the heads and hands it to me, saying, "It is good that you did not help me so I could give you this." I look at the head and it smiles. I wake up with a shout.
  3. I am in a meadow eating grapes with the foreigners, but they have all taken off their clothes and exposed themselves as women, not men at all [any female PCs are still dressed in the dream].

Should be grist for any hearty PC interpreters' mill.

Sandy