Re: Cold-Blooded critters

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 01:27:58 -0600

Mark Groff
>The whole idea that trolls would be cold blooded is absurd. It is
absurd for >any sentient creature living in a temperate or colder climate. The primary >advantage that cold bloodedness brings to a creature is a low baseline >metabolic rate, thus a cold blooded creature only needs to eat about a tenth as >much as a same sized warm blooded creature (does this sound like any troll that >you know?).

        This isn't really so,l as I will soon explain. Note that I don't think that cold-blooded/warm-blooded has meaning in Glorantha anyway, especially with regard to trolls. BUT, as a stickler for biological accuracy, I step in.

>The disadvantages are; 1) that it means that their level of
activity is largely >dictated by climatic events, when it gets cold they go into torpor

        So do warm-blooded creatures, who are direly affected by cold. The great majority of warm-blooded animals who live in cold climates are forced either to migrate or to hibernate in cold weather.

>2) cold blooded creatures while generaly capable of great bursts
of physical >activity they have almost no staying power because their activity relies almost
>entirely on anaerobic metabolism.

        This depends on the animal, not on its bloodedness. All oxygen-breathing animals have access to both anaerobic and aerobic metabolism in varying degrees.

>For a sentient creature to be both cold blooded and live in a
temperate or cold >climate would be a disaster. Many nights and all winter they would spend in a >hibernatory torpor, complete sitting ducks for all those who have trolls on >their better off dead lists.

        Yes, far better to be warm-blooded like a raccoon or a bear and thus sleep in insensate coma for the months of winter.

The advantage to warm-bloodedness is that you have more time to do things, and that your metabolism normally is more finely tuned. The cost is, as Mark says, a much faster metabolism during active times.

  1. More Time To Do Stuff: "Cold-blooded" animals actually maintain a pretty constant temperature during the day. This is done by behavior. A lizard creeps out of its lair at dawn, basks on the darkest, sunniest stone available until it heats up (usually to quite a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air). Then it is active until it begins to overheat, when it tucks itself into the shade for a while, etc. A cold-blooded animal must spend a fraction of its day doing this kind of maintainance, whereas a warm-blooded creature has its metabolism kept stable automatically, though extreme heat and cold are still reacted to behaviorally.
  2. More Finely Tuned: even though you can maintain a constant temperature during the day, it's not all _that_ constant, and has its ups and downs. Your body's various enzymes and processes have to be designed to work within a reasonably wide range of temperatures. A mammal's enzymes don't -- or if the mammal hibernates, most of its processes simply shut down, rather than work at two different temperatures. Hence a mammal's enzymes and biology are generally more finely-designed than a reptile's. That said, this only counts if the animal lives in a place with the temperature constantly changing. Fish have a fairly stable temperature, and thus can stay active all the time. Dinosaurs were so large that they could retain a constant body temperature all night long (in fact, their main problem was probably _dispelling_ heat, rather than generating it).

Sandy P.