Re: Minimaxing

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 11:39:17 -0600

Eric G. "Rightbrainmissing ;)" Scharf
>I was trying to ferret out whether Sandy (or anyone else) makes
the equation:

> All minimaxing in RPGs = Powergaming

        No.

	Minimaxing to serve the game system = Powergaming
	Minimaxing to serve the character's goals, within the
character's frame of reverence is not necessarily powergaming.

        If my Sable Rider decides that he needs to go kill Chaos because otherwise he can't become a Khan of Waha this may or may not be powergaming. Most people never become Khans of Waha. Why does your player want to? Because it's another rank up in the game? Because his dad was Khan and expects it of him? Because he hates the Morocanth and knows he can't influence his tribe to make war on them unless he has a position on the tribal council? Because he lusts for power? (Actually, given that he's trying to make it in _Waha_, the guy is unlikely to be a powergamer).

        If, in his quest, he goes to the Marsh, kills the first gorp he sees and gallops away, he is either a coward or a minimaxer.

Sandy