Riddles?

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 22:50:34 +1300

Nick Fortune:

>The entire point is that Illumination is non-verbal concept. Put it into
>words and it vanishes. Were it otherwise, the riddlers could just say
>something like "Hey guys, Chaos can be cool, if you just dig the big
>picture, man".

But the riddles are spells to _induce_ paradoxal sensations in the mind of the answerer, are they not? And it is the combined effect of these sensations that eventually illuminates the answerer rather than the riddles themselves IMO. So I don't see the problem with Formalized Riddles being verbal any more than I have with the concept of sorcerous spells being able to be learned from a book ("Magic is a non-verbal concept!").