Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #411

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 00:46:45 +0000

John Hughes said, way back in digest 411 (I'm getting a little behind...)
>Pregnancy is a little more difficult, as I discovered when i was doing
>the hunting and herding calendar for Questlines. You can't usually do
>direct translations because of Storm Season. Add the extra six weeks!
>Most animal breeding seasons (humans are one of the few exceptions,
>though even human birth patterns retain a springtime blip) have evolved
>so that young are born in the safest and most secure environment. For
>Sartar and surrounds this is early to late Sea Season for most, late
>Earth to early Dark for trolls and cold-aligned creatures, etc.
>
>I'm attracted for mythological reasons to the idea of human pregnancies
>lasting a full game year, though again with room for regional or
>mythological variations. Lots of room for imaginative exploration here!

Different cultures could quite easily have different perceived gestation periods if they haven't linked sexual intercourse to pregnancy, if they have a mythological/magical 'cause' of pregnancy then they would start to count the pregnancy from when it became physically obvious, which would vary quite a bit.
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Everything I tell You Three times is true                               |