The magic of language

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 21:47:35 -0800

Martin responded to Nick Fortune's mathematics of magic, saying:
>This is the exact opposite of the case. Magic is explicitly =
linguistic, and
>it's the relative efficacy of different magical languages which for the =
most
>part determines, for example, that Malkionism is expanding and the =
hsunchen
>peoples are beset by a sea of troubles. =20

Three cheers for Martin! Language, or more precisely the construction = of the world through symbols=20
(myths, rituals, paradoxical riddles, etc.), is the very touchstone of = Glorantha. One might say that=20
there is little difference between Glorantha and the world that we all = live in, except the Gloranthans=20
construct the world according to the rules of a language-game different = from our own. What makes it=20
interesting is that, contrary to our normal arrogant presumption of the = innate superiority of our own=20
language-game, we actually give the Gloranthans the benefit of the = doubt. That "benefit of the doubt" is=20 magic. To the Gloranthans, it is simply another element of the = construction of the world.

>Note that a precise boundary cannot be placed between "magic" and =
"society."

Or between language and society. Is the 1996 US Presidential Primary = and General Election simply an=20
exercise in power and money or is it an elaborate magical ritual similar = to the Orlanthi "crown test" that=20
publicly sanctifies a politician with the mantle of electoral legitimacy = and forces the followers of the Cult=20
of American Democracy to acquiesce in his demand of tribute and = executive decrees? How would a=20
Gloranthan interpret our social rituals?

>Malkioni magic is intimately bound up in its beliefs, which in turn =
strongly influence society. Society, >in turn, sets the framework for = the language, so as to form a feedback loop.

Full agreement here. The Hsunchen have been in a long decline because = for the past fourteen=20
centuries or so, the material underpinnings of their framework for = constructive the world (the Hsunchen=20
myth-language) has been undermined by other cultures and myth-languages. = See David Dunham's=20
homepage on the Ralian Bemuri ("Moo-Quest") for a first hand account. =20

Yours truly,

Jeff Richard