Illumination

From: Edward Moon <emoon_at_adara.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:32:22 -0800

Nils Weinander wrote:
>Do you mean that there is a first stage, before the final revelation,
>where you start to doubt your previous world views and have a vision
>of something else and bigger? If so, I think it makes perfect sense.

I would argue that Illumination is an all or nothing proposition. If someone could be 'partly' Illuminated, does that mean the character is only 'partly' bound by Cult restrictions?

Regarding Riddles:

Supposedly in Zen Buddhist temples, the roshi will question a student privately to prevent copying of answers. But, a master should be able to tell the difference between a true answer and an aped response. There are stories of a student give a 'canned' response to a koan. The master responded with a rebuke (another riddle) that brought enlightenment to the student. The student gives the same response, now with the approval of the master.

If you go with the Zen model for Illumination, Illumination should hit like a bolt of lightning. It is not something that comes after thinking or introspection. The koans I have heard seems to make my mind 'freeze'. The answer that comes out isn't intellectualized or vetted for correctness by my mind. It just comes from me.

Some Zen sects are very physical in their approach to reaching enlightenment. Example: Master askes student 'What is the sound of one hand clapping?'. Student stops to think. Master hits the student hard against the head with his hand...THWACK! Student experiences enlightenment.

Finally, Illumination can be light or dark. This is what can make Illumination so dangerous. So if 'nothing is sacred' is the same as 'everything is sacred', one can go down the creative or destructive path of Illumination. So on the dark path you can have Illuminated cultists use Malia disease spirits to ravage a countryside and then use Challana Arroy healing spirits to cure the survivors. Then again, since an Illuminate can see all from 'outside', what he does that APPEARS to be bad, may actually be good.

Ed "I'm not an Illuminate, but I play one on TV" Moon