Illumination

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:34:58 -0800

> From: emoon_at_adara.com (Edward Moon)
> >Do you mean that there is a first stage, before the final revelation,
> >where you start to doubt your previous world views and have a vision
> >of something else and bigger? If so, I think it makes perfect sense.
>
> I would argue that Illumination is an all or nothing proposition. If
> someone could be 'partly' Illuminated, does that mean the character is only
> 'partly' bound by Cult restrictions?

I agree that there is no "partial illumination", however, I believe that there are further levels of enlightment beyond becoming "illuminated". "Illumination" is just the first step, at which point you are capable of learning higher truths.

On avoiding cult restrictions, I interpret it like this: not all illuminates know how to do this; it is a learned talent. A prerequsite is an insight into the nature of gods and spirits, which requires illumination. It also requires the ability to hold two contradictitory beliefs simultaniously. This must be learned, and is not without danger. Split personality can result from such mind games.