Re: Illumination--all at once or gradual?

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:27:55 -0500

For the record, I point out that correctly answering a single Zen koan is NOT enough to grant enlightenment/satori. There is a set number, which I believe varies between sects, before a person is considered a Zen master. (Don't have sources at hand, can't give specifics, but I think it's in the hundreds.) Also, it takes years and requires lots else besides koan-answering, including (even in the most Zen-like Zen sects) study of the sutras.

Put me down in the column voting for the existence of partial illumination, and partial relief from cult restrictions be damned (though it's interesting to think about). But then I've never been a big fan of the excluded middle.  At the very least, it's possible that a personality which disintegrated upon illumination to partially reintegrate in deep denial over being illuminated.  I'd go further, and expect that there are people who lack the cultural context to understand illumination but (by traversing the Puzzle Canal or otherwise) have ended up with their minds blown.

Quote of the day:
"I don't think anyone is enslaving anyone in Mauritania. ... [but] I'd feel very uncomfortable saying that [slavery] doesn't exist [there]." --William H. Twaddell, deputy assistant secretary of state for African affairs.

Mauritania has freed its slaves three times since 1920.