divers things

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:34:37 +1300

Edward Moon:

>I would argue that Illumination is an all or nothing proposition. If
>someone could be 'partly' Illuminated, does that mean the character is
>only 'partly' bound by Cult restrictions?

According to some examples given in D:LoD, yes, they are. However I originally spoke about those who had answered some questions and were *not* illuminated as 'second-class illuminates'.

I don't think that these people can partially ignore cult restrictions. What I meant was that after having asked a riddle, one is filled with a vague sense of unease (doubt, what-have-you) that one's worldview is not complete. Whether one could ultilize this partial awareness is another matter.

Tal Meta:

>According to the most recent text I have, when invoked, Hrestol doubles
>the supplicant's POW for one whole day. My question is, if the supplicant
>in question spends that day creating a 10 POW enchantment, is his
>"normal" POW on the next day 1 less than it was (for invoking Hrestol) or
>is it 11 less (1 for invoking Hrestol, plus the 10 he spent on the
>enchantment)?

11 less.

>(I'm still trying to figure out what the benefit of being turned translucent
>white ala Arkat is, and why it should cost 9 POW!)

How else can you find out who an Illuminate is?

Nick Fortune:

Me>> What is the difference between a verbal psychological exercise and
>> a spell, Grasshopper? A Joke is a Trickster spell to make people
>> laugh. A Lie is a Deciever spell to make people believe in something
>> that is not true. So why are Riddles Not Spells?

>But master, is not a joke sometimes only a joke?

Is a White Horse any less a horse because it is white? Is a spell any less a spell because it is 'non-magical'? When I said that Riddles were spells to induce paradoxical sensations, I was intending it in the sense that that a joke could be considered a spell (verbal incantation 'why did the Dark Troll...' induces other person to laugh). The key point of my statement was that the Riddle *induces* the paradoxical sensation rather than Illumination being 'transmitted' by the Riddle.

>Did Nysalor invent Illumination, or did he just teach people how to
>attain that state?

The Dara Happan Prophet Avivath when he 'untied the knot of Antirius' (circa 111 ST) said that Yelm was Illuminated when he went to the Underworld and experienced the Impossible.

I think that Nysalor taught a comprehensive version of Illumination and how to attain it. Prior to that, the paths on how to attain it were either more difficult or incomplete. Of course this raises the question of whether other cultures had analogous states before Nysalor came along. (Diamond Dwarfs? Kralori Enlightenment?)

>Are dragons and dragonewts, with their apparent indifference to chaos,
>Illuminated? If so, how come human Illuminates haven't noticed?

Alien thought processes? How can one tell whether they are illuminates when one can't even understand them?

>Do the Uz have their own term for Illumination, to avoid the nasty
>associations, or is it a terrible Mystery like the ZZ mastery of fire?

Benightenment is my guess.

>Is a Nysalor riddle itself capable of Illuminating, or must it be posed
>by an Illuminate? (The Puzzle Canal could be used to support either point...)

I suspect the key aspect of it is *knowledge*. The Illuminate knows the paradox espoused by the Riddle. If Joe Average asks it then he will mung the delivery as to prevent comprehension of the paradox by the other person.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #434