Rokari

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 16 Mar 96 05:26:21 EST

Robert writes:

> I've seen the Rokari portrayed as something of a Lawful Evil kingdom,
> where caste makes might makes right. Yet I think such a model would be
> generally unpalatable to the peasant majority, and would inspire a
> great deal of internal strife.

First up, I think the evidence from the Kingdom of Seshnela is that there is a great deal of internal strife ("Uncommon Event: Peasants break out in revolt against landlords"). The History of Seshnela article tells us: "The upper class claimed hereditary ownership to all property and assumed that everyone must remain in their parents' social class for life. Their sorcerers told all the peasants that rigid adherence to their miserable way of life would achieve them admission to heaven." In HtWwO we added a clash between Pope Theoblanc and King Guilmarn to the mix, to stir things up a bit more. The Kingdom of Seshnela isn't a stable, settled place: the Barons presumably dream of a Magna Carta (or some such), the Ecclesiarch of theocratic rule, while the King seeks to bring all the local fiefdoms under his personal control.

I don't think we portrayed the Rokari as particularly Evil: they were just pragmatists, Realists if you like. And I'm sure the Rokari faction never appeared particularly Lawful to insiders! I doubt a kingdom run by this religion is much more oppressive, unpalatable, etc. than the RW Mediaeval Catholic church would have made it, in which case internal strife could be effectively contained, stifled or suppressed even without the benefits of Sorcery (which would presumably skew results away from RW expectations in favour of the sorcery-wielding upper classes). Rokari Peasants are offered Solace on a plate (if they're Good, and keep on working hard like they should), and threatened with eternal Hellfire (if they're Evil, and don't). The same is true for Knights, Wizards and Lords...

> My thought is that there is a prevalent theory in the Rokari Church
> that the true model of society is not on the "Top-Down" scheme of the
> Law Rune (where the few at the top rule the many at the base) but
> on the "Bottom-Up" model of the Inverted Law Rune.

I think a more common school of thought would hold that all four social orders are equal: a great peasant should (in theory) be revered as highly as a great knight, wizard or lord, and is just as worthy of respect. In this regard, the Rokari are *more* egalitarian than the Hrestoli, who venerate upward mobility and believe that those who attain higher castes are "closer to God", and can intercede to bring us closer to Solace. They of Loskalm practically worship their rulers: we Rokari show greater moderation than the fanatics of the north.

The Triangle is perhaps not seen as an upward-pointing "social pyramid" but as a union of three *equal* sides, reflecting the nature of the Invisible God:

	Omnipresent		Peasants
	Omnipotent		Knights
	Omniscient		Wizards

These three sides of the "social triangle" are unified into a single whole by the Lords, who encompass and bind society together.

The "Uprights" and "Inverteds" would then devote themselves to variant interpretations of this common holy symbol (though frankly, anyone caught worshipping an inverted Law Rune deserves whatever the Inquisition does to them!). Probably the "Uprights" (believing the "higher" castes are superior, on top, or whatever) are closer to the spirit of Rokari Realism, while the "Inverteds" are seen as dreamers, peddling a useful lie that keeps the peasants in their place and happy, and therefore not worthy of suppression.

Note Saint Rokar's Blessing, in Tales #13: "Rokar's blessing is to give his devotee a feeling of harmony and satisfaction with his or her lot in life. Even in bad times the devotee knows that upon his or her death Rokar will reveal that it has all been worthwhile, and will show them the path to the eternal happiness of Solace in Glory." The Hrestoli have nothing comparable: Saint Siglat's blessing empowers high-caste types to Orate more persuasively in support of Hrestoli Idealism. Windy, idealistic impracticalities in place of the common-sense consolations of Rokarism, sez I!

The Rokari, being practical-minded Realists, have a religion that explains the way the world Is. The Hrestoli, starry-eyed Idealists, have designed one that fits the way they think the world Ought To Be (but plainly Isn't). Since humans, dwelling as they do within the Natural Laws of God the Creator, tend to end up living in something approximating the Rokari state, surely Rokarism best fits the Invisible God's plans for human social order! Come on, now: let's be Realistic for a change!

Nick