Bolshies want ot invert the Law Rune

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 17:08:37 +1100

G'day all,

I'd rather be Red than Rokari

Robert Cheiron writes:

> I've seen the Rokari portrayed as something of a Lawful Evil kingdom,
> where caste makes might makes right. Yet I think such a model would be
> generally unpalatable to the peasant majority, and would inspire a
> great deal of internal strife.

In fact, there is a great deal of internal strife, as the WoG Genertela Book tells us on the Seshnela Regional Event table - Uncommon Event: Peasants break out in revolt against landlords.

> My thought is that there is a prevalent theory in the Rokari Church
> that the true model of society is not on the "Top-Down" scheme of the
> Law Rune (where the few at the top rule the many at the base) but
> on the "Bottom-Up" model of the Inverted Law Rune.

Yep, sure. Only I suspect Robert's theory is peddled by elements at the top of the triangle as a somewhat patronising and hypocritical means of justifying *why things is as they are* (think of Sir Humphrey rationalising the perogatives of the senior civil service in 'Yes Minister'/'Prime Minister').

No doubt there are some peasants who swallow such tripe when they hear it in the weekly sermon; probably some of the lower ranks of the clergy giving such sermons are also sincere. In the upper levels of society, it is used both as a justification of the material inequities in Rokari society, and as a (hopeful) means of pacifying revolt. There might be a movement to invert the Law Rune, so to speak, putting such social theories into practise: no doubt, such agitators would be about as popular as the Bolshies were in Tsarist Russia. And I'm sure Sir Alverius of the Inquisitorial Order of the Golden Lance might also be interested in having a chat too...

Cheers

MOB