Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #438

From: Soul Man <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:58:18 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Guys, this is my first time writing instead of reading, so be gentle with me...

Robert McArthur:

> If I am to believe this, then the Gods must know very little.

IMO this is a good thing. It limits the god's powers and therefore stops the players from abusing the divine intervention option, if the gods are not all knowing, then the players can't whinge that they would have been given a particular piece of help/information, no matter how reasonable THEY think it is. Also if the gods don't know what their opposition is doing, this lends more credibility to conflict between religious groups.

> actually relive sequences of events through the worshipper's - my - eyes,
> they will not have a very balanced nor complete view. The amount of time even
> a priest can spend telling the God something in words, or even conscious streams
> of thought, is very small.

In my view, during a prayer, the god would receive all of the relevant information on the situation being "told" by the supplicant. ie a farmer prays for a good harvest, and the god instantly receives the whole picture of the long drought, the village dying, emaciated animals, people leaving the village etc.

> So, my proposal is that each language spoken on Glorantha actually includes
> a ceremony which allows a particular God to know what is being said in that

AFAIK, this is already covered in the book. Gods of the air know everything that transpires in their element, so wouldn't they automatically "hear" everything that's said by everybody in Glorantha?

Richard Olson:

> First, how does the spirit plane appear? If a shaman is sitting in his tent
> at home and discoproates, what does he see? Is there a similar tent on the
> Spirit Plane? Can he see the auras of other people who might be in the tent
> with him? Are there a bunch of spirits around? How do the natives of the
> spirit plane appear? The same as normal people or ghost like?

In the "Werewolf" rpg, there is a plane called the near umbra into which chacrters can "step sideways". This resembles the normal world except that all physical constructs appear in their "true nature" ie forests are lush and filled with rich vegetation, and buildings appear to be made of living tissue etc. Does this help?

Arf.

A.R.Wilson_at_Herts.ac.uk