Law, Chaos and the Spirit Plane

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:26:14 +0100

Delurking from a long period of abscense, I bring you some documents perhaps of relevance to the ongoing discussions.

Re: The opposite of Chaos? An excerpt from a conversation with Pasammeth Polyformus, Pocharngo philosopher. "An opposite of chaos? Now, now (waves upper left tentacle), that is almost an illuminating question, since everything is Chaos. You are Chaos. I am Chaos. The world around us is Chaos. Chaos is void and enthropy and instability, but it also endless possibility, and that possibility wouldn't be endless unless it included being and structure and stability. What is, is a form of Chaos. What isn't, is a form of Chaos. What could be, is a form of Chaos. That which couldn't be would not be Chaos, since Chaos includes everything possible, but since everything is possible within Chaos there is nothing which couldn't be, and thus there is nothing but Chaos. (pause)
Which shows everytime you have to see any clerk in this our beloved Empire, by the way. (takes a swallow from his glass of Broo urine) Next question?"

Re: The social structure of the Rokari societies.
>From the letters of Yngarth of Rheum, monk of the Order of St Carpon.
"For every Caste there is an endless Quest of Life, and to succeed in that quest and avoiding being trapped in the base worlds of Matter and Spirit one must strongly adhere to the virtues of one's Caste, as well as all the common virtues of the Faithful. As a Farmer, one must show Perseverance in the Face of Mundane Hardship.
As a Knight, one must show Valor in the Face of Bodily Danger. As a Wizard, one must show Wisdom in the Face of Illogical Puzzlement. And as Pious Malkioni, we must all show Loyalty in Face of Temptation of Disobedience to the Laws of God, Man and Nature. But a Lord, woe to his soul! He must not only show Perseverance, Valor AND Wisdom, but also Authority in the Face of the Failures of his Subjects. Four times higher is his chance of failure in the Reaching Quest of Life than that of any of the "lesser" Castes. Thus it is clear that there are far fewer Lords in Solace (comment in the margin of the tome, attributed to the copyist Greger of Lerum: "It might also have something to do with the fact that there are bloody fewer Lords in Body as well"), and a everlasting reason for righteous joy that so many of them have reached the Blessed state of Sainthood."

Re: The appearance of the Spirit Plane.
>From a basic lecture in Introsocial Structure for Young Workers at
the 6th level of the Gold Department of Information Retrieval. The introducing speaker is Balrgh Square, Gold Teacher of grade 43W in the Organization of Knowledge.
"... and thus the understanding of the basic manamanipulating procedures is needed to be able to increase the efficiency of intracaste cooperation. I now leave the duty of speaking to my esteemed colleague, Radymon Sparkles Brightly, Silver Operator of grade 27G of the Information and Communication magicks of the 6th level of the Gold Department of Information retrieval. (no applause - Mostali don't - and a small, scrawny dwarf with thick glasses and unkempt hair enters the podium) - -OK, as you all should know now or you would be fit for recycling, OK, the World Machine can be seen as consisting of two basic systems, OK, and them systems are the System of Static Matter and the System of Fluid Energy, OK.
(two broad nondescript dwarves roll in a large thingamajig consisting of large amounts of silver thread criss-crossing a frame made of copper tubes, here and there sits gems of varios colors attached to the thread. Radymon starts to fiddle with a gem-encrusted box attached to the thingamajig by a golden chain, but it takes a while before he gets it going. Most of the students fall asleep, which is perfectly OK with Mostali, since they nothing better can be done at the moment.)
- -OK, now this is an Introspective Transdimensional Photoconverter, OK, and now its working I can give you all a glimpse of what the System of Fluid Energy looks like, OK.
(The whole thingamajig lights up in all colours of the rainbow streaming hither and dither.)
- -OK, this thing converts trace elements of all the various types of energy into Sunstuff, OK, as you can see everywhere there is an action of some kind,OK, fire burning, steel being shaped, Mostali thinking, tree growing (shudder in the audience), Diamond making descisions, there is a flow of mana, and that flow can be seen by various processes as streams of colour, OK, and by the intensity, exact colour and direction of the colour, OK, you can analyze the process, OK.
- -OK, among these streams can sometimes be seen shimmering geometrical figures, OK, these are sub-programs more or less sentient, OK, and some are still doing there jobs, OK, like most elementals, OK, but many are running wild, OK, and these can be recognized by the trained programmer, OK, and it's the job of the Tins to construct proper equipment for this deprogramming, the job of us Silvers to construct the programs, OK, and the job of youse Golds to scrupulously record this process and perform success evaluation research, OK."

Erik Sieurin