Re: allied spirits of illuminated priests and lords

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 16:30:16 -0500

In V2 #447, "Lantis" writes:
>What is the point of an ally "telling on" a character, if the god is
>powerless to act on this knowlege?

I believe I've already explained this. Reread the post.

>Or do you advocate priests learning
>about such things through divination?

What?

>The illumination writeup does not imply that one has to deal with an
>uncooperative allied spirit, after becoming illuminated.

Oh, I see, because the RULES don't say something, we shouldn't extrapolate.  As I've already pointed out (and Pam Carlson has, too), there are lots of reasons why an allied spirit might be uncooperative. Depending on how well the player roleplays the situation, and on the ally's personality, the ally might reluctantly continue to cooperate. Or not.

> I'm sorry, I
>consider the ally to be a spiritual guide and companion. Not a loyalty
>officer or spy (with possible exceptions made for bizarre cults)

Is a spiritual guide going to sit idly by while the priest or lord violates cult strictures? Is an allied spirit DISloyal to its god? Of course, as a mere initiate, an ally's word normally carries less weight than the priest's or lord's. They may report the priest or lord's sins more in sorrow than in anger, but to do otherwise would be compromise their own identity as spirits of the god.