Carmanian Marriage ideas

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:25:03 +0000

Nick Brooke writes in reply to Pam Carlson:
> I think it was Paul Reilly or Loren Miller who initially proposed
> marriage-by-abduction (cf. mediaeval France for examples, esp. those collected
> in Georges Duby's "The Knight, the Lady and the Priest) as a Carmanian model,
> now ritualised in most cases (part of the wedding procession has the groom
> racing his in-laws from their castle back to his own, with his bride slung
> across the saddle), but commemorating an earlier situation where genuine
> abduction of unwilling brides was accepted as the norm.

Giving credit where it is due, this was Paul's idea. Anybody think that in some weddings this degenerates to the in-laws riding behind the newlyweds clashing their swords on their shields, whooping and hollering, and just making a lot of loud noises? Anybody think they simply string noisemakers off of the groom's saddle and let the newlyweds make their own racket?

whoah!

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> Computer Guy <http://hops.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren>

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #448