Re: battling worldviews

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 15:32:21 -0500

In Glorantha Digest V2 #448, Jesper Wahrner writes:

>When a Storm-Voice calls upon Orlanth to strike a Rokari wizard with
>lightning, the wizard may - if he survives - attempt to explain the
>lightningbolt in terms that fits into his worldview, as seen in Gods
>of Glorantha. But I think that he misses the point. For a moment there
>reality changed and the Orlanth believed in by the Storm-Voice and his
>congregation was actually there and cast his lightning.

That's a true (and easily grasped) example of a wider clash that fits into the "hsunchen luser" thread. "God is on the side of the larger batallions," Napolean Bonaparte once said, and one of the themes of Glorantha is the contest to see which worldview has the largest batallions.

> And by changing the objective reality of the Hero-plane you may change >the
subjective reality of someone who was dependent on the way the >Hero-plane looked before you changed it. Thus someone's worldview can >be changed by the use of magic.

Very good, Grasshopper. You have perceived deeply.