God Learners and Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 20:45:19 +1200

Doyle Wayne:

>Peter's piece states that Stafford claims that the GL"s struggled with
>Illumination. I interpret this statement to mean that though a large
>majority of the GL's were not Illuminated, many of them were aware of
>Illumination and its consequences in an _intellectual_ sense. [...] The
>Gl's may not have called it Illumination, or realized that this was the
>insight that Nysalor brought, but I do think that they wondered about it,
>sought it, explored it, etc.

While I can't speak for my Evil Twin, Spiffy, the God Learners were heirs to a culture that had fought a brutal war against the the practitioners of Illumination and wiped it off the face of the earth. To say that some of them explored illumination and did not realize what exactly they were exploring seems unlikely IMO.

The God Learner 'struggle' would have look like this:

GL: The Empire of the Deciever knew magical secrets which allowed them to ignore cult restrictions without fear of reprisal among other things. The secrets was wiped out by Arkat. The question remains: how did they manage to do this? And more importantly, how can we replicate their discipline without falling into the lure of the deciever?

IMO Only the False Dragons Ring managed to come close to understanding what Illumination was and their Charismatic Wisdom was a grotesque caricature of the Kralori Mysticism that had gone before it. The Mainstream God Learners probably didn't know where to start. 'hmm, how do we detect Illumination?'