Arin the Smuggler

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 25 Mar 96 15:48:16 EST

Nick Davison (another Nick! God be praised!) kindly sent me the Arin the Smuggler cult. I can't recall if it's ever been posted here, so I'll restrict myself to comments on his comments.

> Unlike Nick Brooke I believe minor cults do have an important place in
> some campaigns.

Hey: I believe so, too! We Greydogs worship the Great Newt, I'll have you know. And Indrodar Greydog! And "Our Ruthie", the Sacred Cow of the Greydog Clan... None of us can be bothered to produce initiate/acolyte/priest writeups for them, or global definitions of the World-Wide Cult of the Great Newt (etc.), is all.

> Arin is ideal scenario material for a campaign based on ship or in a
> trading city (such as mine). The cult write up including the suggestion
> of involvement by Trickster is quite well done..

Yep: now I've seen it I'm a lot happier with this cult. The mythology is well done, and makes it clear that this is a Trickster-influenced Hero Cult derived from Issaries and created inside time.

> I do agree that the Divine Magic available for the cult is excessive.

Seconded (or is that Zero'ed?). If that were whittled down, and the more grandiose globalising suggestions (e.g. that the unheard-of "Cult of Arin" is wildly popular in Sartar) reined in, I'd have no trouble with using this cult in a game. It should be too small for allied spirits; I'd suggest the Magpie is one person's special deal (as the Three Feathered Rivals are *not* an organised cult enjoying stable relationships with others). The Trade Blessing/Curse power is well out of order, IMHO, but then I don't like abuse of Spell Trading (or Vivamort Rune-spell draining, or Thanatar head-capture, or Illuminated multi-cult abuse, or any such powermongering).

Most likely, Arin is a hero/spirit cult, which can be used or abused by others: Issaries, or Krarsht, or Lanbril... Arin himself is keen for whatever worship he can get!

Nick