Allied Spirits & God Knowledge

From: Allan Henderson <allan_at_chem.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:40:31 GMT

Hi,

I have been following the "How much do gods know " thread and I don't like the everything in their sphere of influence approach, or the everything spoken in their tounge. The language thing results in all the troll gods knowing everything spoken in darkspeach. The sphere of influence approach would mean that Daka Fal knows everything about humans and Lankhor Mhy just knows everything.

I prefer the idea that gods get their information from worshipers either told in prayer by initiates and above or when they die. I appreciate that most of what a god hears will be "please let my crops grow", but some gods will hear "protect us from the large lunar legion that came through our village". Although an idividual does not contribute much information as a group of devoute worshipers a congregation will contribute a great deal. This idea also caters for spheres of influence i.e. grain gods will know about advancing rain, humakt will know about advancing armies and Orlanth will know a hell of a lot. I would imagine that Lankhor Mhy knows a great deal because it is the role of his worshipers to tell him a lot.

Another source of information will be allied spirits. These are the representatives of god attached through spirit link to a Rune level. As these spirits are close to god it may be an idea for the god to have access to all the information that the spirit has. This could either be a spirit link or that when the character sleeps the devout spirit "downloads" the days events in prayer.

Allan
<Don't often post but I do always read.>