Invisible Orlanth

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:31:39 +1200

William Johnson:

> We have just recently begun a game set in Carmania and are using Sandy's
>new and improved write up of the sorcery system. For all of our western
>sorcerers there has been no problem, because they have been following in the
>Mostali tradition. However, my character is a follower of Invisible Orlanth
>and I am wondering if anyone has worked out any of the vows to obtain new
>arts from this school of thought. Is it the same as with Mostal with the
>names changed? Or are there more intricate vows entailed?

I don't think Invisible Orlanth is a school of sorcery. It's more like a mystical fighting cult (like Path of Immanent Mastery). Its initiates seek to become terrible fighting machines so that they can one day overcome the Sun God Idovanus who is the Creator in Carmanian Theology and achieve enlightenment. Thus I would make the cult another Orlanth Adventurous with some real heavy secrets to be learnt at the higher levels.

Of course, believing in a cult that has the expressed aim of kicking the crap out of the Creator isn't going to be welcome anywhere. Therefore I think the core philosophy of the cult is only known by unconfirmed rumour outside its membership. Perhaps the Hieophant tried to speak with Idovanus to learn whether the cult was acceptable and met the 'Invisible Orlanth' (I don't think he's known by that name in Carmania) who told him the cult was perfectly all right?

All IMO.