Elamle

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 15:52:46 -0800 (PST)

Hal Bowman asked:
>3. Is there 'official' information regarding Teleos or Elamle or Melib?

Well, I will probably get hacked off at the knees for this by a full-time Glorantha historian/sociologist, but back in 1980, when I was a youngster playing briefly in Ken Kaufer's campaign, I played an Elamle character. What I remember about the cult/culture as Ken played it is this:

The Elamle cult is broken down into 3-4 levels that seemed fairly similar to the various Dragonnewt stages. The Elamle lay member is a healer, similar to a Chalana Arroy (my character had to use 12 pts. of INT to hold Healing 6 and Xenohealing 6, though...whew!). Skills like Find Healing Plants and the usual First Aid, etc. were taught. The Elamle Initiate is a warrior, which is pretty tough to pull off after being a healer :). The Elamle Priests are holy men who wander around on their own (think Kung-Fu...). There was a fourth level, as I recall, but I don't remember any defining characteristics about it.

That was a long time ago, so I don't remember much more about it. I *do* remember being out looking for healing plants when our group was approached by a walking/talking cornstalk, though. It turned out to be chaotic, and attacked us (with Befuddles...I don't know what it would have done if it managed to successfully Befuddle everyone...). We finally killed it (well, not my healer, of course), and it exploded in a shower of very painful chaotic exploding popcorn. Ken always was imaginative... I guess that's why he did the write-up for Primal Chaos... :)